Re: Hibernation

>     I have been trying to get hibernation mode working on several
>different laptops of different brands (IBM, Toshiba), and unfortunately
>there is (apparently) no way to have it work under linux. I expect some
>messy APM BIOS hook into m$-win, for which I have (yet) not found any
>documentation/specification. Moreover, I have been asking some IBM people
>who told be that the hibernation file must be located on a DOS partition,
>and that it cannot be recognized (I am not sure of it, the explanation
>was very inaccurate) when not running DOS.

My old Thinkpad (380XD) hibernates perfectly with Linux.  All you do is boot
DOS from /dev/hda1 and run "ps2 hibernate C:" (or whatever the command is),
then it just works.  Of course /dev/hda1 has to be big enough to have a file
the size of RAM + 4M...
My new Thinkpad 600E currently doesn't have hibernation because PS2.EXE
crashes...

>For short, the built-in "hibernation mode" in our laptops is, in many
>cases, quite unuseable with Linux. (Any success with other models/brands
>would be appreciated, I'd really like to know if there are any)

I haven't heard a confirmed report of any new laptops having problems with
this apart from situations such as with mine (where it's a problem of the
laptop configuration).

--
Electronic information tampers with your soul.