Re: Ethernet-Card for Laptop

>I want to buy a pcmcia-ethernet-card for my notebook. I have a Sharp
>9090 and I want to establish a little network with an old Pentium 75.
>
>First, is a 10 MBit/s card enough or should I buy a 100 MBit/s card?
>Are these cards much more expensive?
>
>Furthermore, are there any problems with these cards or do they
>generaly run with Linux? Are there any prefered cards?

Linux supports Cardbus and PC-Card (formerly PCMCIA) devices.  My laptops
(Thinkpad 380XD and Thinkpad 600E) work well with both Xircom PC-Card and IBM
Cardbus cards.

One issue that no-one has mentioned is that 100baseT cards do not do 10base2.
Laptops tend to be carried to all sorts of strange places, if you have
10baseT and 10base2 then you can connect to almost any network (although only
at 10Mb speed).  This factor has prevented me from upgrading to 100baseT so
far...
The issue of Cardbus being required for 100baseT is definately worth noting.

--
I've been to the Colorado Software Summit.  Check out the URL and see why you
should have been there.