Re: Recommendations for Laptop

Andrew Clark said:
> I would like to get a laptop and run Debian on it.  Does anyone have any
> recommendations for machines/manufactures to buy or avoid?

If you're willing to pay new laptop prices, www.linuxlaptops.com will sell
you one with Linux preinstalled.  Even if you don't buy from them, their list
of available models will give you some machines that are known to work well
with Linux.  Highly recommended.

Otherwise, I've got a UMax ActionBook 320T which works well, with two
caveats:

1)  The screen whines in X and UMax won't divulge the proper refresh settings
because "we only support Windows".  Also, 800x600x32 works in Windows, but
I can't get it to work for X.

2)  APM doesn't seem to like X either.  If it goes to sleep/suspend while X
is up, the graphics card won't reset itself properly when it wakes up.
(Which can be worked around by telling BIOS to stay awake if it sees VGA
activity and always remembering to switch to a text console before closing
the cover.)

It's not perfect, but it's workable and I'm happy with it.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+:+ a- C+++ UL++>$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W+(--) N+ o+ !K
w--- O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+