Re: Trouble using 3Com ethernet/modem

Lance Heller wrote:

> I have a 3Com 3CCFEM556 10/100BaseT/56K ethernet/modem pcmcia card
> in my Chembook (Asus) F7400 notebook running a fortified Debian
> Slink distribution

This is *exactly* what I have (did you get yours from Linux Laptops
too?)

> with kernel 2.2.13p15.

I have a patched 2.2.11, but I doubt this is the problem.

> Briefly, the problem I see is that I'm unable to use the ethernet
> interface until and unless I establish a PPP session on the modem.

If you look at the results of "ifconfig eth0", is an IP address set?
I did have to do some editing of the pcmcia startup scripts to get an IP
address set via DHCP, and I have to manually restart dhcpcd-sv each time
I plug into a new network, but this configuration works great for me.

--Greg