Re: Fixing the Master Boot Record

Hi Bryan;

First, you did not need to do anything to your mbr.

Your machine was just responding to the fact that the floppy that
you had in the drive was not a bootable floppy.

It sounds as though you need to create a bootable DOS floppy.

I presume based on what you have said that your machine is a "dual-
boot" machine (or was) and that you have another OS present.

I don't know how to make a bootable floppy under Windoz though I
think that if it Windoz95/98 that you need to go to the "Control
Panel" (under Setup?).

Another possibility is that the file that you downloaded from
IBM's website might be a compressed "disk image" but their
instructions would likely tell you so if that were the case.

If you can no longer boot into Linux (directly from the hard
drive then you will need to boot from either the rescue disk or
from the disk that you were instructed to make during installation.
If from the rescue disk then issue the arguement "root=/dev/hdax"
at the rescue disk's boot: prompt (where /dev/hdax is replaced
with whatever is the root partition for your installation).
Following the boot then run lilo as root.