Re: Multifunction cards functioning... er, multiply?

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 08:03:17PM -0500, Scott Bigham wrote:
> I have a 3Com Megahertz 3CXEM556 Ethernet/modem combo card,
> which apparently keys off the 3c589_cs kernel driver.  It works
> fine, but it suffers from the problem described in the PCMCIA
> HOWTO[*] that the Ethernet and serial drivers cannot function
> simultaneously, so that, for instance, I have to manually rmmod
> the Ethernet driver to use the modem.
>
> My question is, have more recent versions of the kernel or
> PCMCIA modules alleviated this problem (I'm currently running
> kernel 2.2.5 and pcmcia-cs 3.1.1-1 on top of Debian 2.1); or
> alternatively, can anyone recommend an Ethernet/modem combo
> card (preferably with XJACK) that does not have this problem?

Hi, Scott,

I'm running 2.0.37 on a Micron "TransPort Trek 2".  dmesg says
I'm running 3.0.5 of pcmcia:

    Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.0.5
      kernel build: 2.0.37 #3 Tue Sep 28 17:07:24 EDT 1999

I have a 3CXEM556B, which I can only assume is similar to your
3CXEM556.

I can use the modem and the ethernet port at the same time.  If I
recall correctly, the secret involved going into the BIOS setup
and disabling both (or possibly only one) of the onboard serial
ports that the laptop already has.

My kernel is configured thusly, if it helps:

    CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
    CONFIG_PPP=y
    CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
    CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y

    # this is the specific 3com driver
    CONFIG_VORTEX=y

    CONFIG_SERIAL=y

I ended up downloading the pcmcia_cs package and compiling from
sources.  See
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/base/pcmcia-cs_3.0.5.orig.tar.gz.
(The Debian description for package pcmcia-modules-2.0.36
3.0.5-10k3 says "If you have compiled your own kernel, you will
most likely need to also recompile the PCMCIA modules."
Basically, you d/l the pcmcia-cs package, configure it, compile
it; it creates a .deb package, which you then install using
dpkg.)

Good luck.

-- Larry Clapp

--
Larry Clapp / hm: larry@theclapp.org
Great Southern Oxymorons: Grits connoisseur