Re: es1869 soundcard

Hi,

 I have the same card and it works perfectly. But NOT with the kernel module,
but with ALSA (the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture). Sound is better than
it was without it (although I have not tried the new modules yet, and
probably will not do so).
 You will need the ALSA development files (if you install other ALSA things,
you will get other useful utilities)  and follow the instructions.
 Briefly: It will tell you to enable sound support in the
kernel, and nothing else. Compile the kernel the usual way (preferably using
"make-kpkg"). Then compile the ALSA modules (make-kpkg again). dpgk -i them
and reboot. I do not know, how configuration works now, but going the stadard
way (running alsaconfig and just answering questions) did NOT worked for me. So
you need to use the proper module with the proper parameters (see docs).
Beware that you should not modify /etc/modules.conf directly!
 This may sound long and awful, but works fine. You will get nice sound and a
fully OSS compatible implementation, so you can use every OSS ready software
(I use it with esnd and xmms for MP3 - great). There are some glitches with
Quake (sound card is busy after exiting), but you can live with it. Oops, I
forgot, that you have to run a script to generate the proper devices for the
OSS thing. I do not temember how, but the docs will help.
 Happy hacking,

Cheers: Zsombor

--
Zsombor Gergely