Re: Hibernation

> >     I have been trying to get hibernation mode working on several
> >different laptops of different brands (IBM, Toshiba), and unfortunately
> >there is (apparently) no way to have it work under linux. I expect some
> >messy APM BIOS hook into m$-win, for which I have (yet) not found any
> >documentation/specification.

> I have a Ricoh Magio (which I am told Europeans are sold as the Thinkpad
> 235 - at any rate, it has a Thinkpad-like BIOS) and I can tell you, yeah,
> that's innacurate.

Indeed, I was wrong on this point, at least until Matthew R
Welland/Burlington/IBM <mattwell@us.ibm.com> pointed me out the trick to
make it work: I had to unmask the disk access interrupts with "hdparm -u1"
after a clean boot from DOS, and now I can hibernate without any problems.
The fact is, I still have to boot linux after booting DOS each time I do a
full power cycle, because else the "hdparm -u1" doesn't do the trick (and
the "hdparm -m16 -c1 -u1", as told by Matthew, adds no more). I still
suspect that the hibernation manager in DOS loads something into the BIOS
(location of hibernation file, perhaps?)

> >        However, Tobias Bachmor <bachmor@cs.concordia.ca> reported the
> >existence of a "hibernation feature" for the kernel. I am using this
> >feature daily, and it works quite well. Explanations on it follow.
> >For any people that actually rely on the use of an "hibernation mode",
> >this kernel feature does a good job and can, in most cases, replace nearly
> >completely the built-in feature of the laptop.
>
> I have not tried this; not sure it's worth getting a mere 100 MB back.
> The question is whether this can add full hibernation to older laptops
> which only did suspend?  That'd be cool.
Well, you still need enough swap space to hold all your physical memory.
But it does work, even for older laptops (and especially for those,
because they usually contain no hardware that cannot be properly resumed
by swsusp).

Raph