Re: Debian on Sony 505TX

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 amita@ibm.net wrote:

> The XF86Setup recognized the mouse.
> Then got a message that I successfully had installed a server.
>
> Then I run startx and got some error messages and nothing happened.
>
> What can I do now?

The good news is that you have the hardest part overwith.  ;-)

> I am intrigued about those Window managers I heard about,
> like fvwm, icewm, afterstep, or enlightenment?
> And Gnome as a icon based file manager.
> But I guess  I must be able to start X first.
> For now I don't even know how X looks like.
>
> I have tried to read manuals, and reading manuals I came this far.
> But It is much easier if somebody who know where to look for what,
> walk you trough the installation process.
> So it is great to have so many people ready to help.
> (This is one of the best things of Linux).
>
> What should be my next step?

Your next step would be to search for a window manager on the system.  if
you do not find anything, of course you can always apt-get one
(enlightenment is my personal fav - apt-get install enlightenment
enlightenment conf).  Then it would be wise of you to make a .xinitrc file
in your home dir.

> I have friends who i have talked about Linux (even I know nothing
> technically),
> and are waiting that I install and learn, so I can teach them.
>
> Thanks again
> Dada

Anytime.  ;-)

Mitchell J. Lewandowski
Network Controller, Network Operations Center
CyberGate, Inc. - e.spire Communications
954.429.8080 - Fax 954.429.8001
mitchlew@gate.net | Mitch_Lewandowski@corp.gate.net