Port Noteworthy external CD-ROM

Has anyone had any success with the Port Noteworthy PCMCIA CD-ROM?  Yes,
I know it isn't on the SUPPORTED.CARDS list; I thought it was when I
bought it... :-}  I figured I should at least try getting it to work,
though, before biting the proverbial bullet and buying another one.

I have actually gotten it to work a time or two, though it still spits
error messages like a sieve and seems to be tripping all over itself
(the mount process, for instance, took about 8 minutes last time...).
Most of the time, though, the mount process hangs hard --- not even a
kill -9 will stop it.  When it works, cardinfo reports I/O ports at
0x100-0x10f and an IRQ of 9; when it doesn't work, those fields remain
empty.  The most common error message is 'hdc: lost interrupt', though
there are a number of others; I can provide a more complete kernel log
on request.

Since the missing IO-port/IRQ information seems to correlate with the
drive failure, I'm hoping that this is simply a configuration issue,
that I need to be telling the drivers something about the card.  My
pcmcia-cs config is unchanged from OOTB.

For reference, I'm running a 2.2.5 kernel and pcmcia-cs 3.1.1-1.  TIA.

						-sbigham