Re: Giving up on Slink, moving to potato?

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 11:48:36AM -0500, Bryan K. Walton wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I have an IBM Thinkpad 390E and have been trying to install Debian
> 2.1 on it for about two weeks now.  I can install it no problem, except

I have done it in less than 2 hours including alsa + pcmcia + irda ...

> that I cannot get X Windows configured correctly.  I even updraded to
> XFree86 3.3.5, and still can't get it to work (although I can get Red Hat
> 6.1 installed on it in my first try).  The problem is that I don't want
> Red Hat, I want to run Debian.  I even had two linux engineers here where
> I work try to get it running, and they had no success.  I have checked out
> linux resources for IBM Thinkpads on the net, and have also received
> much useful information from this list.  But, I think I am giving up on
> slink.  I may have to move to Red Hat, even though I don't want to.  But
> first I want to ask a question.  I have never used an unstable release.
> (And I am also a newbie).  Is it worth giving Potato a try?  Should Potato
> make this problem easier to tackle for me?  Or would the fact that it is
> unstable, only make life more difficult?

>From the above mail i dont think you should try potato as it seems
you are not so deep in linux hacking - You wont be happy.

For the XFree - I habe Slink running on my 390E - If you want i put up
kernel debs + alsa debs + pcmcia debs + Xfree binary tgz for you
to download ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is