Re: Help: exim not accepting mail!

Drew,

> Now the doc's for fetchmail say [Q. R1 in the FAQ] that the first thing I should check is whether the SMTP mail port (25) on my computer is open, and that I should fix that first.   And sure enough, when I try to telnet into port 25 on localhost, I get this error:
>
> So that must be the problem.  But the clever answer to Q. R1 does not explain just how to fix it.  Now I have set
> host_accept_relay = localhost
> in exim.conf, which I would have thought to have been the solution to this problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

it would seem that sendmailor exim, as it where, isn't running at all! Are
you sure tat sendmail is actully running or that exim will start with the
correct parameters? Check out /etc/inetd.conf. Also, make sure the
exim-package is actually innstalled.

When i tried potato for the first time I wound up with the firewall
enabled, that is with `deny´ as the default on all ports.

Try :
ipfwadm -Iln
and:
ipfwadm -Oln

and see if the ports are open . If they aren't  issue:

ipfwadm -I -p accept
ipfwadm -O -p accept
ipfwadm -F -p accept
ipfwadm -I -f
ipfwadm -O -f
ipfwadm -F -f

This is clearly overkill put will open everything for you to get to your
email. Next look into the information concerning `ipfwadm´

Lars.