Re: eth0: startup messages - pseudo newbie

Jordan Howarth <jordan.howarth@cmis.csiro.au> writes:

> I have a Versa Note with an inbuild ethernet card and if I am not connected to the
> network when I start, I get a whole list of stuff like transmit timed out,
> switching to 10baseTx-FD media, etc... in the startup messages. The ethernet is
> not modular and was setup to automatically detect which media to use. I am
> assuming that these are just it going through the motions of finding that NOTHING
> is there - (True/False) ?

True.

> ALSO, if I remove the ethernet cable and put it back later I lose my connection
> entirely. /etc/init.d/network restart doesn't work and I am not quite sure about
> ifconfig, route, etc.
>
> Thanks - be kind ...

Well, /etc/init.d/network won´t work, since its not a normal
start/stop like script. It will allways start and if your card is
already started nothing will happen.

The problem probably lies in the autodetection of the network
speed. The driver will autodetect the right speed and will probably
keep that for ever or for some time.

Look at the output from "ifconfig -n" and "route -n" to see how your
card is configured before and after removing/attaching the
cable. Nothing should change. Try to ping the outside for some time
and see if the cards leds (or someones others leds blink) and see if
the card goes back into autodetecting the speed. If it doesn´t you
have to remove the driver and start it again, so you should build it
as module.

To restart your network card the following is normaly enough:

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: If you have some custom routing, remove that as well.