using nfs on install

I'm trying to reinstall debian on my laptop since I was having trouble getting
potatoe to install.  Anyway, I was able to find a 2.1 cd and I picked up a 3com
Etherlink III network/33.6 pcmcia card.  The question is, how can I bet the
install program to bring up the network so I can nfs install the base system?

Before I started trying to reinstall, the network was up and running (and I had
not done anything since replacing my 14.4 modem with the new card).

Ideas on what to do?

Thanks,

Chris