RE: X on NeoMagic

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> >
> >> Point apt at www.debian.org/~joeyh/stable-update -- this is slinkv2.

After looking at the packages file I found the place where the updates
were:
deb http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates

I installed the X from there, and it came with both a XF86_SVGA server,
but also a XBF_NeoMagic Server (which I assume uses the frame buffer
because of the name)

Well I ran XF86Setup, picked my card (The strange thing was the README
thay came up with was about Matrox Cards, and had nothing to do with mine)
picked a monitor, and when it tried to start the server, it waited a bit
and it X11TransSocket Can't Connect Error 111 . I stopped it and typed
startx, and It hadn't rewritten my XF86Config.

So I tried it with xf86config, got a ton of messages like Mode "ZZZxYYY"
needs (hsync freq|vrefresh rate )  of X. Deleted

And I got only 320x204 in 8bpp.

So I changed my hsync freq and vrefresh rate to a ranges that covered all
of them.

and I don't get any more of those messages, but I still get 320x204 in
8bpp.

I've written to one of the people who had my laptop from the linux on
laptops page, and asked him for his XF86Config, but as he doesn't use
debian, I'm not sure if it will work.

So shortly what am I doing wrong?

--
Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@acm.org
---
G:  All right sir.  See the little box with the row of lights on the front?
    We'll call that the wiggly-diggly.
Cu: Uh-huh.
G:  When the lights on the wiggly-diggly flash rapidly, click on the
    thingamajig, and your doodlybum should open.  Voila!  You're connected.
Cu: Okay ... yeah, I think I got it.  Thanks!
Ch: Say Greg?
G:  Yeah Chief?
Ch: Don't you think that call was a little ... ohh ... precedent setting?
G:  If you're trying to terrify me, it's too damn late.
					-- Greg, Customer and The Chief
User Friendly, 6/14/1998