problems with exim, sendmail, qmail....

I have Dell Inspiron 7000, with a ethernet card as well as a modem
card.  I'm attempting to set up a mail transfer agent so that while at
work (ethernet) it works fine, and while at home (modem) it only sends
mail while connected, otherwise it queue's them (or just normal mail
transfer agent activity while in dialup mode).  Now, I've been told
this is a simple feat, especially for exim which was designed with
laptops in mind (this is what I was told).  I haven't been able to
figure out heads or tails on how to get this to work... any
suggestions?

What I've gotten so far is, exim to work sort of.  Fetchmail brings in
the mail to /var/spool/mail${USER}
and then exim wakes up and says, "Oooo, look, mail!" and sends it
out...the problem is that it mails it saying it can't find the address
that the mail requested, which is bogus cause the mail requested the
address located on the server that I just used fetchmail to receive.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm stumpted for the time being.
     -James Moss