No boot from DVD

--- please send also a reply to albertobig@libero.it ---

Hi all,

My new (ebay...) NEC Versa SXi won't boot from my DVD reader
If I use the CD reader instead,  than it's OK.

The DVD itself looks fine: after boot, it reads CD's and DVD's.
But not at boot time. Not CD's, at least. I don't have a bootable
DVD.

Settings on the BIOS are correct: There is an option for booting from
CD/DVD.  BIOS is updated tothe most recent one.

Does it seem to you a fault in the drive?
Is the controller typically on the drive or on board, for this kind
of swappable devices?

Thanks,
alberto.