Re: insmod lt_serial, lt_modem on Acer Extensa 501 Dx

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 10:21, Olivier Crouzet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get my lt winmodem work under linux. I have compiled my own
> kernel and made the corresponding kernel-headers package using make-kpkg.
> Everything works fine since I have installed this new kernel but I
> encounter problems with the insertion of the lt_serial module (which has
> to be inserted before the lt_modem one).

[snip]

> # insmod lt_serial
>
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o
> /lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol
> SetLtModemInterface
> /lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol
> GetLtModemInterface
> /lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o:
> Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
>       and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
>       assistance, only they can help you.

Assuming you have run an "update-modules", the fact that you have
unresolved symbols shows that the modules are not right for your running
kernel, until that goes away it will not work. As far as I know, unless
there is an actual bug with the module source, this can only be because
you compiled the module against a different version of the kernel
source/headers than the kernel you are trying to insmod with (your
running kernel).

did you create the kernel-headers package in the same command as the
kernel-image command? ie "make-kpkg ... kernel-image kernel-headers" or
with two separate commands? I have always done it in one command and
never had problems with ltmodem. You can always download a stock kernel
and the appropriate headers to go with it for testing purposes.

Good luck

-Mark