Kernel Compiling on TP A22m

After getting Woody to install on my work desktop, I want to put it on
my laptop (IBM Thinkpad A22m, 2628-OKU).  I have been having the worst
time compiling the kernel.  I'm using 2.4.18 and after compilation,
installation, and rebooting, the screen uncompresses the kernel, and
then the display turns white very very slowly.  I have tried a modular
and non-modular kernel.  I thought it might be an APM thing, so I
unmarked them.  I can attach my .config to anyone (off-list) if you're
interested.

The strange thing is that the machine seems to boot fine.  I hard reset
the machine after the screen turned white, then the filesystem (ext2)
got corrupted.  I would use ext3, but I can't get the 2.4 kernel to
compile.

All pre-made kernels that I've tried in the past (Mandrake's 8.1, 8.2,
Redhat's 7.3, 7.2) have worked just fine.

Is there something completely obvious that I'm missing?

Jeremy