Re: Which Desktop replacement.

From: "Vivek" <vivek@etla.org>

> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> > No flames from me.  That pretty much sums it up - price vs. quality.
Not a
> > big difference either way, but Dell IS renowned for bad BIOSes.  What's
the
> > status of IBM support for Linux in the retail market, these days?
>
> They actually ship some laptops with a distro on: I forget which -
> even if you use a different distro, this is worth grabbing as you can
> snaffle any kernel params or binary-only programs that come with.

That's why I specifically mentioned 'retail' market.  Dell will sell I8000s
with RedHat, but only to "business" customers.  I don't know if you have to
make a bulk order to be a business customer, because I didn't want to spend
that much on even one machine.

> I didn't get linux with my A20p, because they weren't shipping at the
> time, but I'd definitely buy one again - great keyboard, nice mouse
> replacement (a rubber-nipple-thingy as opposed to a trackpad), great

I've got pretty used to a touchpad though my last laptop was an IBM and I
think I still prefer the "rubber-nipple-thingy ".  It still takes me a
minute longer to play a game of Mahjong with the touchpad, though :-)

> screen, and nice keyboard (for a laptop). Oh, and 3 mouse buttons.

With the latest driver, you can do amazing things on the synaptics touchpad.
All I really use it for is the middle button.

--
derek