Re: X acceleration on a S3 savage IX/MV

On Mon, 20 May 2002, joris@linux.be wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 09:57:08AM -0700, Alex Bernson wrote:
>>
>> 	I have a Toshiba satellite 2800-s201 laptop with sid on it.
>> 	Everything works fine except for acceleration on X. I'm using
>> 	XFree86 4.1 with the savage driver, and everything works
>> 	fine, except when I try to play 3d games such as tux racer.
>> 	Tux Racer runs incredibly slow, somewhere around 1 frame per
>> 	second. Is there anything I can do, or am I just going to
>> 	have to live with no games?
> As far as I know, there is no free 3D acceleration for savage
> chipsets, and there isn't any planned either.
>
> http://www.xig.com/ has a commercial driver, but it's rather
> expensive. The installation is also a bit a pita...

>From personal experience, the Xig X server is a quite well designed and
implemented piece of software.[1] Two things of note are:

Xig seem unresponsive to changing distributions and software. I had a
libc5 server, around the time of the lic5 to libc6 transition and was
told that there was not going to be a libc6 rev of the server released;
only a (paid for) upgrade to the next version, when released, would get
that. I can understand their logic, though, but it's something to be
aware of.

The other thing to be aware of is that they didn't offer the full set of
XFree86 extensions at the time which meant a few of the assumptions that
the distribution scripts and tools made were no longer true...

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I used it for a while until Neomagic support hit XFree86.

--
Be an explorer...read, surf the internet, visit customers, enjoy arts, watch
children play...do anything to prevent yourself from becoming a prisoner of