Mozilla 0.9.9 and Java

I don't know if anyone else is having this same issue, but I am having a
problem with Mozilla 0.9.9 in that it does not seem to accept the Java
plugin.

This is a touch annoying as everything I have read documentation-wise says
that it should be working fine.... I installed it off the web-page, which
said it installed fine - restart the browser - nothing.  I installed
manually, and restarted the browser - again nothing.  Even the "plug-ins"
page doesn't show the java plugin.

Now, I am certain this is something with Debian as my b/f's Redhat box
works fine with Mozilla 0.9.9 and the java plugin.

If anyone has solved this issue, could they let me know how they did it?
It is annoying me a touch as I need Java support in my web-browser, and I
don't like running windows for it.

Regards,
	Cassandra