Re: TEAC CD-RW CD-W216E

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 03:14:13PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:34:16PM -0500, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> > Still working on the new Dell Inspiron 8200.
> > I have the cdrw 16x10x24, but have not been able to get it to write any
> > faster the 4x.
> >
> > $ dmesg
> > hdb: TEAC CD-RW CD-W216E
> >
> > Anyone know how to get this thing to work properly.
> >

> The write speed is a configurable option in the CD burning programs.
>
> It sounds like the default might be set to 4x, to run it at 16x you'll need
> to set it explicitly (the GUI burner programs will typically remember your
> settings for next time).
>
> Drew

But do make sure to test that discs you burn at high speeds are mountable -
I've made coasters here and there by burning them too fast, including
coasters because they do mount up, but their el-torito boot image is
scorched too fast, and one reallt subtle one where a truly paranoid check
(diff against the tree I just mkisofs'd from) revealed about 5 files didn't
match themselves...  I'd have been really sorry if I let that one go to the
developer team who needed it, so I was *really* glad I'd checked!

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...