Re: acpi package

From: "Alessandro Speranza" <speranza@mth.kcl.ac.uk>

> On Sat, 4 May 2002, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> >
> > I don't quite follow you. Without the daemon my understanding is that
> > the kernel ACPI interface will not power off on it's own. I could be
> > wrong, however, and have not run without the daemon. :)
> >
> It actually does. I don't know how, but it does. Before, when I was using
> the kernel 2.2 it was hanging after power down, but now it powers off
> without the acpid

My experience is that you need _either_ apm or acpi installed in the kernel
(on my Dell Inspiron 2500) for power-off to work.  It only worked completely
with apm if apmd was active (and that's the _only_ thing I can do with apm).
However, with acpi, it powers off completely whether or not acpid is
running.  Acpid, though, provides a controlled shutdown (via init) from the
power button.
--
derek