acpi package

Hi folks.
Yesterday I was hanging around the debian web site and I saw there's a new
package on called acpi-something and I was wondering if anyone knows what
it is about. Is it related to the sourceforge.net acpi project? I've used
the patch acpi from sourceforge.net for my kernel 2.4.17, and, although
limited, it recognizes battery, AC power, buttons and stuff. THe thing I'm
missing is an applet to monitor battery charge and the battery lasts just
about one and half hour with the ACPI I've got. Does anyone know if this
acpi package would help me anyhow?
Cheers
	ALessandro