audio recording noisy on HP OmniBook 4100

Hello All,

I just recently started to do hard-disk recording with my HP OmniBook 4100,
running Potato. Unfortunately the recorded audio has some disturbing noise.
Playing audio recorded on a different machine works just fine. The audio
controller is an ESS Maestro (see below). Anyone experienced this before?
Is it likely to be a hardware problem or a sound driver issue.

TIA

Andreas

    Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 16).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=24.
      I/O at 0xf800 [0xf8ff].

--
Truth is the most valuable thing we have -- so let us economize it.
		-- Mark Twain