Re: Which filesystem for a notebook?

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 13:02, Michal Frackowiak wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am going to install linux on a Mitac 6120 (p3 700) machine with 12gb
> hdd. My question is however a general one: which filesystem to install?
> The possibilities are:
>
> 1. ext2 - standard
> 2. ext3 - with logging
> 3. raiserfs - with logging

If you want more battery life, stick with ext2, since the journaling
filesystems keep the harddisk spinning all the time.

If you want to have easy journaling, install ext2, and after
installation create journals on all filesystems (tune2fs -j /dev/hda1)
Then change /etc/fstab and remount/reboot.

Installing reiser is harder, since you need to install somewhere, get a
reiser capable kernel, reboot with that, make reiser filesystems and
move your data from the 'somewhere' location to the real filesystems.

I've had reiserfs on my laptop for a long time... but at the last
disk-crash (all filesystems broken) I switched to ext3 (because it was
in 2.4 kernel then, and I didn't want to go through all the hassle of
reiser installation etc.

Mark