Re: Debian PC Requirements

Derek, there is swap... I run "swapon -s" and it gave me exactly the picture you mentioned, except that swap is hda6, and the size is 979924 - which I think is close to 1 GB... However, the problem is that "used" part is zero - why's that? Can I do something to make linux use it? Computer is freshly restarted, so may be it is only that there is nothing yet in memory to dump it to swap?

 Filename     Type            Size    Used    Priority
 /dev/hda6   partition       979924    0        -1

Regarding the speed: I actually rethought it and yes, Linux is not really slower than win2k - it boots up faster, and it looks like when fully booted, it uses less memory than windows 2000... However, once Gnome or particularly KDE is started, then it just turns into hell - even Abiword starts somehow two-three times slower than MSWord starts in Windows... Evolution starts in probably 10 seconds... may be it is because those desktop environments and programs are slow themselves and it does not have to do anything with Debian.. I am a user primarily, so I noticed the slowness of the overall performance when compared taks-by-task Linux vs. Windows and my subjective perception was that Linux is appreciably slower...

Best regards, please advise me on SWAP.. thanks

Kemal