Re: learning programming

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:19, Paul King wrote:
> > personal preference, I think.
> >
> > And perl/python is apples and oranges: python is object oriented (like
> > java, C++), while perl is more like C.
>
> Perl is more like C, but with objects (and lots of other
> stuff).

Perl is nothing like C.

Perl does not require defining variables before using them.

Perl has no "main" function or anything equivalent - it just starts executing
the first line of code it finds.

In Perl the {} are mandatory after an if construct or similar, in C you just
use {} to make a block of statements act like a single statement.  if and
other similar constructs operate on single statements (which may or may not
be blocks).

I can write code fragments that are valid in both C and Java, so saying that
Java is like C is valid.

I think you can write code fragments that are valid in both Ada and Pascal so
those languages are similar too.

This really has nothing to do with laptops, maybe we need a
debian-teach-programming list...