Re: Future of manpages-es

Hello Javier,

Am So., 28. Juni 2020 um 09:53 Uhr schrieb Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
<jfs@computer.org>:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 18:25, Mario Blättermann <mario.blaettermann@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> for a very long time, Debian shipped Spanish man pages, provided by
>> the PAMELi project [1]. But this is to be considered as dead for
>> fifteen years, and the translated versions became more and more
>> outdated. So it happened that the manpages-es package has been kicked
>> out of Debian. Buster still provides manpages-es_1.55, but Bullseye or
>> Sid don't contain in anymore.
>

> Indeed, this is the case. I'm willing to provide a new version of manpages-es, but we would need to weed out obsolete manpages first.

Not needed, while importing the existing files, I see if the original
man page doesn't exist anymore, has been renamed or removed to any
other section. Regarding the workflow, see below.

>> If someone of you is willing to work on such translations, I would
>> create a framework for Spanish and import the existing Groff and Mdoc
>> files into .po files and merge with the latest translation templates.
>> To learn more about our workflow, have a look at the file
>> CONTRIBUTING.md [3] in our Git repo. Contributors can get write access
>> to our Git repo immediately, in the hope that nothing goes wrong ;)
>> Some basic knowledge of the Git commands would be very beneficial, of
>> course.
>

> I would be willing to support this work but my time is limited. If the files were moved in .po and then new Groff files are generated then I would work into making a new manpages-es released that included these files, we could also in the package point users to the project (to gather more contributors) when answering the question "Why is the manpage partially in Spanish and partially in English ?"

Good idea.

>> Don't expect too much, importing this old stuff is often subtle. But
>> while importing from Dutch, Romanian, Italian and Brazilian Portuguese
>> I was really surprised what it yields after all these years. Importing
>> all the 660 Spanish files will take some time, maybe a few months,
>> maybe a year. But believe me, it's worth the effort, and keeping the
>> .po files up-to-date is much easier than to bother with the static
>> stuff. For convenience, we maintain a compendium for each language
>> which simplifies the work with gettext messages which appear more than
>> once in the different .po files. And moreover, we have a collection of
>> scripts which make it easy to create new files, reformat existing .po
>> files, getting a translated man page for review and so on.
>

> This would be fantastic, if you could do that liftup importing of Groff files it would be really appreciated.
>

>> Currently we support seven languages; it would be nice if we could
>> integrate Spanish, too. The current translation state is available at
>> [4], of course, Spanish translations would also get such an overview,
>> which will be updated after each commit.
>

> Please integrate Spanish, we should also announce it beyond the Debian spanish translation community (maybe bring it to the Ubuntu's community too?) as these manpages are not really Debian-specific.

Indeed, currently we support Archlinux, Debian Sid/Buster, Fedora and
Mageia. Support for Opensuse is in progress. I was planning anyway to
post my proposal to more Spanish translator mailing lists, but I think
it's better if a native speaker does it.

> In the meantime, I will register into the GIT repository and take a look at the current setup.

I've already created a framework for Spanish translations:
https://salsa.debian.org/manpages-l10n-team/manpages-l10n/-/tree/master/po/es
A status page is also available:
https://manpages-l10n-team.pages.debian.net/manpages-l10n/index-es.html
(BTW, the status page itself can also be translated into Spanish, if you want)

For the time being, I've imported the intro.* pages only. I will
continue with the import, but note, currently I'm still pretty busy
with importing the Brazilian Portuguese (and also a few Italian) man
pages. That's why it will take a while. But if you have any priorities
regarding man page sections or even particular man pages (or, for
example, you prefer to translate developer manuals in section 2 and
3), let me know. Then I will import those first.

Worth to mention: Currently I intend to import the files from
manpages-es only, not from manpages-es-extra. The latter is
problematic: While I exactly know in manpages-es which original text a
translation is based on (in our case man-pages-1.55), in
manpages-es-extra the version number of the origin of the text is
unknown in most cases. That's why it is almost impossible to import
from the extra package without speaking Spanish at all.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Best Regards,
Mario