Re: [RFR] wml://doc/docpolicy.wml

#use wml::debian::ddp title="DDP Documentation Policy"

This manual is quite outdated and there is an incomplete effort to fix it on the
See the current draft of the
recommended for all new contributions.</p>

approved by the project members and former Documentation Manager (retired),
Susan G. Kleinmann.

<ul>
  <li>All manuals of the Debian Documentation Project (DDP) will be
  released under DFSG-compliant licenses, most likely GPL.

  <li>We'll use the following directory structure:

<pre>
  /usr/share/doc/manuals/<var>somemanual</var>/index.html
  /usr/share/doc/manuals/<var>somemanual</var>.ps.gz (optional)
</pre>

<pre>
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/<var>somemanual</var>/
</pre>

<pre>
  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/manuals/<var>somemanual</var>.html.tar.gz
  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/manuals/<var>somemanual</var>.text.gz
  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/manuals/<var>somemanual</var>.dvi.gz
  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/manuals/<var>somemanual</var>.ps.gz
  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/manuals/<var>somemanual</var>.sgml.tar.gz
</pre>

  accepted yet, so those URIs may not work. The real locations of
  documents may vary for backwards compatibility.

  <li>We will use SGML as the source format for our documents, preferably using
  Docbook XML.

  changes to our documents. We accept all other formats as well. However,
  they will be translated into SGML by one of members of the group.

  in debiandoc-sgml format. These are being transformed, as time permits,
  into DocBook XML documents. The debiandoc-sgml format is considered obsolete.

  minor formats.</small>

  <li>We will ease the translator's task by using PO.

  that want to keep track of translations using the PO format are given
  the proper tools to do so.

  <li>Every Debian document will have a single person listed as
  <em>Maintainer</em> and might also have additional people listed as
  <em>Co-Maintainers</em>.

</ul>