Re: linux-2.6: Improper po-debconf spanish translation accepted, please rectify

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 04:16 +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
[...]
> Please find attached a reviewed translation fixing the previous one. This
> review also fixes the fuzzy translation as well as some minor inconsitencies
> ('.' instead of ':' in some translations).

Thank you, I will apply that shortly.

> If I may say so, as the coordinator of the Spanish translation team, I would
> have been more comfortable if the translation update you requested would have
> been sent to the Translation team and the previous translators where in CC:,
> that way we would have been able to review the translation and stop a bad
> translation from getting into the archive.

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with proper translation procedures as
linux-2.6 is the first package I have worked on that has needed
significant work on debconf translations.

> I'm not sure if the problematic messages (those translated woefully by Aaron)
> are typically presented to users when upgrading from squeeze to lenny. At
> least in the upgrade tests I've done when editing the Release Notes they have
> not come up. If you believe they are relevant I would be more comfortable
> if the translation was updated.

The three messages starting with 'Boot loader may need to be upgraded'
may appear during an upgrade, but not for a system originally installed
with lenny where /etc/kernel-img.conf has not been modified.

> Unfortunately, as it is, the translation gives a very bad image of the
> status of translations to Spanish-speaking users in such an important package
> as the kernel.
>
> I would have liked there to be other way to update translations off-side, but
> there currently is none.  Would it be possible to have one more upload of the
> package fixing this translation in the archive?

linux-2.6 is still being regularly updated, so the new translations will
be included.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings