Re: volunteering translation

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, John Lapeyre wrote:

> 	Hi,
> 	Perdone me por no escribir en espanol. Seria muy difficil para todos

No problemo ;-)

> 	My girlfriend is federally certified in the U.S. as
> a translator/interpreter for spanish. She would like to
> volunteer to translate something.  Can someone make some suggestions and
> give me some pointers to get her started ?  In particular, we need to know
> how to get l10n characters into the text.  We prefer emacs.

Well, the first obvious suggestion is to subscribe to this list. Then she
could contact Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@ieeesb.etsit.upm.es>,
who's been trying to coordinate some efforts here.

Yes, we'll need some help, there hasn't been much activity lately here --
at least in my case, 'cause I've been loaded with work and teaching
lately.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that if you have an US keyboard and want
to input isolatin-1 chars directly into emacs (and have them shown
correctly), this is what I do on a Sun: just define something like

 export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1

(or any of its equivalent spellings), and then emacs (as well as many
other Unix programs) will know how to show iso-latin-1 characters. To
input them on a Sun keyboard I use the "Compose" key, because there's no
"mute accent" key on US (or UK) keyboards. For example, the character "á"
is obtained by pressing Compose, then the forward quote "'", then "a".

Now I don't know the equivalent of the Compose key on a PC-style US
keyboard (because my Linux machine at home is spanish ;-)
I guess you can define it by mucking around with the XF86Config file.

Hope it helps,

Jose
Jose L. Marín                                   jose@ma.hw.ac.uk
Dept of Maths                                   marin@wanda.unizar.es
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS, U.K.
Phone: +44 131 451 3893
Fax: +44 131 451 3249

Former address:  Dept. de Física de la Materia Condensada
                 Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Zaragoza
                 50009 Zaragoza, SPAIN