Help required with pstree bug #288856

Hello,
  I have CC'ed the BTS with this message so if I need to go back later
I have something to refer to.  My apologies for writing this in English,
but as you will see if I could type in Russian my problem would be
solved.

This email is about bug report #288856 "pstree mustn't use '-G' by
default".  It appears that VT100 line characters and Cryllic fonts cause
problems.  Please note my comments in the bottom of the bug report
about what makes pstree use these characters.

What I am after is a simple, programmatic way of determining when NOT
to use VT100 line characters.  It may not be a Cryllic-specific
problem, but at least I can make one l10n group happy!

If someone knows of a general test for when not to use the characters,
no matter what the CODESET even better.

Please CC me (or the bug report) as I'm not subscribed to your
l10n list.

 - Craig
   psmisc maintainer
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer