From: "Paul Gevers" <elbrus@debian.org>
To: debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org, debian-i18n@lists.debian.org, debian-doc@lists.debian.org
CC: "Debian release team" <debian-release@lists.debian.org>
Sent: January 29, 2023 5:45 PM
Subject: bookworm and the release notes
Dear all,

As I hope you are all aware, we are rapidly approaching of the release
of Debian 12 'bookworm'. This means that we also want to get the release
notes [1, 2] for bookworm into shape and translated.

Following the process that I proposed and used during the buster and
bullseye release, I propose the following, if people have time to help out:

* l10n-english could do a review of the current text of all chapters.
That said, there haven't been much textual changes since the buster and
bullseye releases and the changes outside of issues.dbk have already
been reviewed. issues.dbk, and maybe whats-new.dbk, will keep receiving
updates during the releasing process, so the other files make more sense
to check first. I hope all members that want to contribute to the review
of proposed changes can also subscribe to merge request notifications in
the salsa interface [3], such that proposals that don't go via the bts
still get the proper attention. Bug reports in the bts are sent to
debian-doc@lists.debian.org, so consider subscribing to that list (or to
the release-notes pseudo package) if you want to help drafting or
reviewing incoming texts. Outstanding bugs [4] could do with triaging,
proposing texts, etc too.

* Translation teams can start making sure translations are up-to-date, I
suggest starting with the about.dbk, installing.dbk, old-stuff.dbk,
moreinfo.dbk and release-notes.dbk files. issues.dbk, and whats-new.dbk,
will receive updates probably until after the release, but most changes
should really be new texts as I avoid gratuitous rewording.

I have seen updates to translations flowing in already, so I understand
at least some teams have direct access. I *guess* I can grant other
teams access if they request it. Since the archive is maintained in git
changes can be submitted with merge requests. Filing bug reports in the
bts against the release-notes package remain a supported option as well.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions or remarks.

Let's get ready for the release.

Paul

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/release-notes
[2] https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/releasenotes
[3] on [1] hit drop-down menu next to the bell-sign and select what you
find appropriate
[4] https://bugs.debian.org/release-notes