Re: Shadow's manpages translation

Hi Nicolas,

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 19:57 +0100, Nicolas François wrote:
> It seems that some Hungarian man pages are not the translation of the
> current English man pages.
 A lot of them are lagging behind (I know, as I am a Debian Developer,
I have manpages-hu in the archives). I have talked with András Tímár
some time, the point was that we should continue, but first is that
that the translation database is lost ages ago by the Hungarian
Linux Users Association. With that the database layout, the tools
and even the translators contact addresses is lost. Rebuilding
everything would take a lot of time, and we haven't done anything.

>   Can you have a look at them, and see if they
> need an update?
 Yup, only a small number of manpages are easier to check.

> newgrp.1:
>  * no [] arround -c
>  * There is a "HIBÁK" section in the Hungarian translation, but no
>    corresponding section in the English man page.  Is this something we
>    may want to have in the English version?
 HIBAK means errors in english. I have to check the contents of that
section. But at least I could not find it quick, as this manpage is
not part of manpages-hu. I will check shadows and be back to you.

> Can you provide an update as a bug to the shadow package, or indicate if
> some man pages is so outdated that they should be dropped because they
> would mislead users (only login.1 seems that different, but ... I don't
> speak Hungarian;).
 OK, we will do it. On the other hand, we speak english, so don't
worry. :)

>   You may also only wish to add a notice indicating that
> users can have a look at the more up-to-date English man pages with the
> "man -L C <...>" command.
 Yup, thanks for the note.

> The French translation was handled with po4a, which permits to translate
> the man pages using a PO file, and permits to ease future updates of the
> translation).  You can have a look at the man/fr directory in the shadow
> source package.  If you want to use po4a, don't hesitate to mail me for
> any question you have (e.g. I can prepare you the po4a conf file, provide
> the POT file, and automatically fill it with the current translation
> (which you will then have to verify)).
 Thanks in advance. Hope we can cooperate here first (Hungarians), and
then contact you.

> There is an opportunity to include this update in Sarge.
 Yes, even after the freeze, RM would let it slip into Sarge.

> Thanks in advance,
 We thank you!
Regards,
Laszlo/GCS