Re: Two Macedonias

On Πεμ 23 Σεπ 2004 10:39, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> siward wrote:
> > I think the people of Greek Macedonia have a different objection
> > : they were always called Macedonia,
> >   and now another region is trying to take their name away from
> > them, which is offensive.
>
> This makes me laugh.

I would really like to know why this looks funny to you, but I'll
refrain from starting such a discussion in these lists. If you indeed
have a reason, I'd be interested to know it, please mail me
privately.

> > It is possible that the peope of their northernly neighbour state
> > also used to call their region Macedonia.
> > Their republic has only come into existence recently,
> > and this may only have been possible by their perception of
> > them being part of a people that are 'Macedonians',
> > that therefore obviously live in 'Macedonia'.
>
> LOL

Right, it's obvious that you reject his views of the matter. However,
I'm not going to trouble the lists with another flamewar on this
matter. I think we can all agree that right now the issue is pretty
much settled, but it would be best if there were no further insulting
comments (I take 'LOL' as one).

> >   2) use the names 'Republic Macedonia' and 'Greek Macedonia'.
>
> I like that one, but, as Steve Langasek said, in the namespace of
> autonomous territories, there is no collision at all.

I agree on that one.

Konstantinos