Do you have experiences using source code management in translation?

Dear everyone,

I hope this is the correct list to write to. If not please point me to
the correct one.

On the German list we discuss the topic, if using source code management
(SCM) tools in addition would be beneficial for everyone especially in
saving time.

On the German list (debian-10n-german) translation and reviewing is
currently done as follows.

The translations request gets send to the list, the responsible
translator translates or updates the translation and sends the po-file
to the list. Afterward reviewers send a reply with parts of the po-file
quoted and annotations to it. The translator incorporates what fits and
unfit things are discussed.

In my opinion editing in an e-mail message window is not very
convenient. Either for the one who checks the list nor for the one who
incorporates the fixes. A mailing list is the worst patch management
system, one guy at coreboot said once I think. I agree and that is the
reason SCM tools were invented.

A lot of people on the German list objected this proposal thinking that
it is too much effort and makes the process much more complicated –
although it was stated that it should be an *additional* option.

My proposal was something like this. The translator makes his/her
modifications and commits/pushes this to his branch. A post-commit hook
would notify the list with the blob, a diff and a link to his/her
repository.

People now can reply via list or update their branch, make their
corrections commit and publish it in their branch after which the list
gets also notified. The original translator can than pick the obvious
changes and incorporate those into his branch, publishing it, and so on.

Ideas or Experiences

So here is the reason of this message. How do translation teams of other
languages handle this? Are there solutions using SCM or was that
abandoned because it did not prove beneficial?

Can you think of a solution involving Alioth or some other service?

Thanks a lot,

Paul