Re: (forw) Re: Consistency in "doing foo..." strings

On Sunday 09 March 2008 11:09:54 Christian Perrier wrote:
> Apart from Daniel's comment about German translations that "often
> suck", which I find pretty offensive for your work, guys (and probably
> untrue...this is typical geek comment about computers that can only be
> used in English), I think he could have a point about ellipsis in D-I
> translations.
>
> Could you check them? There are apprently spaces before them and, from
> what Daniel says, this could be incorrect for German.

Hey Christian, hello Daniel, hi list!

Actually it's neither nor ... and both. If the ellipsis stands for a part of a
word like in "son of a b..." (which would be "baker", I guess :)), it's
without a space.
But if it stands for a whole word or several words, there must be a space,
like in "Once upon a time ...".

Quelle: http://www.duden.de/deutsche_sprache/newsletter/archiv.php?id=71

In Duden Issue 21 it's described in R19 on page 25.

cheers