Re: Shadow's manpages translation

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 08:09:45PM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 06:53:28PM +0100, Nicolas François wrote:
> > Can you provide an update as a bug to the shadow package, or indicate if
> > the man page is so outdated that it should be dropped (if it will mislead
> > users), or just add an indication that German users can read the more
> > up-to-date English man page with "man -L C <...>".
>
> Sorry, but I'm confused. What is the source of these manpages. Both are
> part of the German Manpage translation project which is maintained by
> Joey (Martin Schulze).

I will try to provide a little more background.

There has been a lack of shadow upstream developer, and shadow's source
evolved separately in different distribution.

There is also a French manpages translation team, which translated pages
very different from Debian's one.

Tomasz Kloczko is now the upstream developer, and his source should be
used after Sarge (http://shadow.pld.org.pl/).  With a little chance, it
could become the common source for other distributions.

The German translation was probably submitted to upstream some time ago,
and there may be a tacit agreement that upstream translations are preferred
to manpage-.. ones (because when the upstream developer is supporting
translations, updates from the manpage-.. projects should be sent
upstream).
The German translations for chsh and passwd were dropped from manpages-de
0.4-5:
  * chsh.1, passwd.1: Remove from package, now that the shadow package
    includes them.

these pages from the shadow package are identical to the one that were in
the manpages-de package.

MFG,
--
Nekral