Re: Apology to german users required in the release notes

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> writes:

> > It's hardly a workaround--it seems to me that we should encourage
> > UTF-8 wherever we can.  So we do support German, we even support it
> > correctly, with correct quoting, and the way to get it is to turn on
> > the UTF-8 based locale.
>
> In my opinion, this is a regression. Non-utf-8 did work before, and if
> we break it, it's a regression. And, if we cannot fix a regression, we
> should apologies for that.

Fair enough: but it's not like we need to apologize for "not
supporting German right".  Rather, we no longer support German in this
way, but we still do in that way.

I want to avoid the tone that somehow we have callously screwed over
all Germans by failing to get their language right, because that's not
what the facts are.