po4a would be nice indeed / Re: request for translation: debian flyer

Hi Helge,

Thanks for your detailed reply!  Yes, there is work to do & sorry for seeming
to be impatient.

More inline:

On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 10:07:42AM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 09:28:28AM +0100, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
> > Could the translations in french and german of our flyer[0] get updated?
> > I'd like to print a few of them today or tomorrow, for our booth [1]
> > at the FOSDEM conference in Brussels, this weekend.
> >
> > Sources in english are available from
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debian-flyers/-/blob/master/english.tex .
> >
> > Translations which could use an update are
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debian-flyers/-/blob/master/francaise.tex and
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debian-flyers/-/blob/master/deutsch.tex .
> >
> > Contributions in any format are welcome: email a patch, commit and push to
> > master, talk to me on irc, submit a MR, ...
> >
> > Please Cc me on replies; I am not subscribed.
>
> Sorry, at least for me this is not possible. Seems like everything is
> against good practice:
>
> 1) The links cannot be downloaded by wget.

https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debian-flyers/-/raw/master/deutsch.tex
(but indeed, I guess that was not the point of your remark...)

> 2) No previous translators are visible or contacted.
> 3) No sufficient infrastructure is used (e.g. po4a(1)).
> 4) No obvious way to get a diff (would be solved by 3))
> 5) Incredibly short deadline
>    It is good practice to give ~ 14 days for translators, but „today
>    or tomorrow“ is close to impossible.
>    (And at least for me, it's just by chance that I can look at this
>    on a non-weekend day).
>
> So, for next time, please:
> a) Switch your infrastructure to a decent build system, e.g. po4a. If
>    you need help, I can sure look at this.

Patches / commits / help indeed very welcome!

> b) Work on the updates as far in advance if possible, commiting
>    changes as they come. Then translators can be notified and monitor
>    this - and keep the translations aligned. Then even last minute
>    changes are possible to handle.
>
> c) Notify the translators in advance and provide decent links for
>    downloads. Avoid every barrier you can.
>
> Sorry, that I cannot be of help this time.

Fair enough, thanks for your detailed reply.

BTW, there are more Debian flyers on salsa and elsewhere, didn't have a close
look at those yet.  debian/debian-flyers has a long history, and that shows.

So, yes, indeed, there is work to do...

I *hope* to have more time for investing in this after the FOSDEM weekend.

Bye,

Joost