Re: manpages-l10n: please fix file header of xrandr.1.po

Hello Jean-Philippe,

Am So., 29. März 2020 um 07:41 Uhr schrieb Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
<jpmengual@debian.org>:

> Le 29/03/2020 à 00:05, Mario Blättermann a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > the header of the French xrandr.1.po currently looks as follows:
> >
> > # French translation of manpages
> > # This file is distributed under the same license as the manpages-l10n package.
> > # Copyright © of this file:
> > # Common msgids
> > # Mario Blättermann <mario.blaettermann@gmail.com>, 2019.
> > msgid ""
> > msgstr ""
> > "Project-Id-Version: manpages-l10n\n"
> > "POT-Creation-Date: 2020-03-07 13:29+01:00\n"
> > "PO-Revision-Date: 2019-10-05 18:43+0200\n"
> > "Last-Translator: Mario Blättermann <mario.blaettermann@gmail.com>\n"
> > …
> >
> > Seems somebody has used one of the compendium files as a template. My
> > last commit (reformat .po files) only added the first three lines. It
>
> not me. Some automations make me fully confused. ANyway xrandr is fixed.
>
> > happened in commit #151198. While trying to update just one .po file,
> > 1000 files have been changed accidentally, and the following attempt
> > to revert this change obviously failed.
> >
> > The problem is not only that names of the involved translators are
> > missing; when regenerating the AUTHORS file, also a proper file header
> > is needed.
> >
> > As you can see in the mentioned commit, some artifacts of a formatted
> > Diff have been added to xrandr.1.po, which produces an invalid .po
> > file. But unfortunately, our helper scripts expect proper and valid
> > .po files and can destroy a file completely in some cases and later
> > regenerate from whatever; I'm not the author of the scripts and can't
> > explain them in detail.
> >
> > @Jean-Philippe, does it really make sense to maintain your own Git
> > repo and move .po files forth and back from one to another? If you
>
> What? Sorry I dont understand.

Someone in your team - I thought you - maintains his own external Git
repo for reviews. That's why I thought the Diff artifacts come from
there.

> > really can't do without tracking changes within one single review
> > loop, then fork a new branch in manpages-l10n and merge the changes
> > back to master when finished. Or at least, be more careful please when
> > committing anything. Thanks in advance.
>
> Well I am "happy" to open this topic because I am not confortable with
> the situation just now. Here is what I experience, tell me the proper
> process. The origin on my problem is I dont know Git enough. Merging
> would be a pain for me, so ok to be careful, but then please help me
> with a process.
>
> So currently the situation is:
> - I start a page (eg. find)
> - the loop is long (about 1 month for such page)
> - before pushing, git tells me "no, please git pull first"
> - pull fails because between the beginning of the loop and now, find was
> changed (I guess an automation)
> - the situation becomes then completely confusing. Just like I did a few
> minutes ago, I have to rm the file, put my copy, add it, and push.
>
> So the problem I identify is that some changes happen while I am working
> on the po and I cannot identify them and handle them.
>

> What should I do then which would make sense? I feel merging will be a
> pain, so what care process should I use to ensure the commit is good and
> dont result failures and side-effects? An idea I am having: should I
> push any work once done, even if not reviewed in our loop? I can,
> indeed, push any change I do immediately and just mark the commit as
> definite or "WIP"? Maybe the fact to commit once the loop is finished is
> an error?
>
> Thanks for your help. And sorry for the mess. Git stays a pain for me
> but... will learn.

I've just committed the file CONTRIBUTING.md [1]. Well, I assume it
doesn't cover all imagineable questions and problems, but should
explain most of the workflow. Please have a look at it.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/manpages-l10n-team/manpages-l10n/-/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Best Regards,
Mario