Re: Status of manpages-fr -- help needed?

Hello,

Le 14/10/2018 à 17:29, Helge Kreutzmann a écrit :
> Hello,
> I recently noticed that manpages-fr was removed from testing. I felt sad.
> It appeared as if the reason was that the manpages were too outdated.
>
> When I pushed for proper manpages-de maintenance years ago I was always
> inspired by the French effort and achievments. Thus I (in agreement with
> manpages-de maintainer Tobias) would like to ask if we could help
> having manpages-fr in Debians next stable release (and beyond)?

Certainly!

> We are a very small team and we cannot work on the translation, but we
> could offer an infrastructure which would keep the manpage translation
> current, i.e. regularly updated and released. Of course, over time more
> and more paragraphs would be replaced by an updated english version and
> if the French percentage felt below < 80% then the man pages would not be
> shipped. But those pages who are rather stable (and many are) would
> continue to be shipped. (Of course, French translators would be
> welcome to update the outdated strings as they see fit).
>
> If you are interested we could discuss moving over the current French
> manpages to the salsa infrastructure of manpages-de. I haven't (yet)
> looked at the build infrastructure of manpages-fr, how much work this
> would cause, but I'm confindent that this is dooable.

That would be awesome.
As mentioned by Jean-Baptiste, the perkamon project usually handled the
french translation of manpages as a cross-distro effort. We would need
to figure out how to stay in sync so it can benefit everyone.

> Please keep Tobias (and me) in the CC loop for the discussion. I also
> CC'ed the manpages-fr maintainers.

According to #873266 and #832385, both maintainers are unavailable. I'm
willing to (learn how to) maintain this package and taffit kindly agreed
to do the uploading magic (I'm a non-up DD).

Thanks a lot Helge and Tobias!
Thomas