Re: Status of manpages-fr -- help needed?

Le 14/10/2018 à 17:29, Helge Kreutzmann a écrit :
Hello,
I recently noticed that manpages-fr was removed from testing. I felt sad.
It appeared as if the reason was that the manpages were too outdated.

Hello Helge,

although admiring Debian-l10n work, I'm not a Debian contributor, but we have the same issue in Fedora (I'm part of Fedora translation teams).

manpages-fr content is quite old, and we discussed this issue in November 2017.

Baptiste Jammet did a work to move the content to gitlab: https://gitlab.com/perkamon/man-pages-fr/

As maintaining so many files over time is a huge burden (and follow-up is difficult), I offered him to connect the repository to the translation platform Weblate, but for personal reasons, it took me months to be available to do this.

Anyway, I connected his work with my personal installation of Weblate in September and it works fine.

Here is the result in Weblate: https://translate.holcroft.fr/projects/man-pages-fr/#components

Here is one commit in Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/perkamon/man-pages-fr/commit/43ff6c466c8696db9b3bd7a26b2d10d9f8c0bc16

Note: this is a proof of concept, I did not try to complete any translation.

Once in Weblate, adding a new language should be easy (yes, I think we should ease language addition over time).

Setting per team process (reviewers roles) is possible.

Free project hosting exists: http://hosted.weblate.org

Issue: it makes one commit per component, and each component is a file in the repository ==> the first update work will create a lot of commits.

I would love to be able to contribute to the revival of this project and would be happy to translate if Weblate is used.

I'm 100% sure I won't be able to assume responsibility be a package maintainer (nor git maintainer).

But I don't feel legitimate to take decisions alone, I would love to see Baptiste coming back, or having another contributors to speak their minds.

--
Jean-Baptiste Holcroft