Contributing back the French Ubuntu DDTP translations

Salut à tous,
I'm Pierre, one of the Ubuntu French translations coordinators.

We're trying to contribute back translations of the DDTP (package descriptions) made by the ubuntu French Translator using a process to translate the DDTP on a large scale (using Google machine suggestions that are then edited and validated manually by our reviewers).

We've started a discussion as to whether manually reviewed automated translations are legally ok on debian-legal (see thread at https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2013/04/msg00019.html), and the answer seems to be yes.

Given the sheer amount of translations done in French in Ubuntu, I want to be extra-careful, first by asking you all to join directly the conversations mentioned above if you're not ok with this, and opening a conversation on the Quality Assurance side for French.

In the process, we've filed quite a bunch of Debian bugs regarding typos in English descriptions. But the most important result is that we have many French translations that we'd like to contribute back to Debian as suggestions (see https://translations.launchpad.net/ddtp-ubuntu/raring/+lang/fr for stats)

We hase a « closed » translations policy for Ubuntu : on quality, we try to tighten the process as much as possible, and we have a policy of having a string validated by a team member, even if the suggestion originates from another team member (and we select team members quite tightly).
Given the sheer number of strings we're talking about, mistakes will happen though and that's why I proposed contributing back as suggestions or at least have them reviewed one or two more times Debian-side. Our methodology is to translate in a way that can be understood, using glossaire.traduc.org to standardize on proper translations, and sometimes taking creative licence to correct stuff that is not legible in the original version.

I'd very much like your feedback, since we have a script ready for import, and that's it's all about ensuring we (Ubuntu) don't screw everything up :-)

sincèrement,
Pierre