Re: Problems with fr_CA installs

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:08:12PM -0500, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
[...]
> >>installation was mainly successful, I was wondering if the problem of X
> >>defaulting to us instead of fr_CA was known. I didn't know about
> >>dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 until months after I installed debian
> >>for the first time, so it's not cool if you have to run that immediately.
> >
> >I guess this comes from localization-config:
> >
> >                   'fr_CA'        => { LAYOUT => 'us', XKBOPTIONS => '' },
> >

> >The question then becomes : what is the default XKB layout used by
> >les cousins d'outre flaque ?
> >
> >Is there a fr_CA layout for X?
> >
> >If so, do you use 'pc104' or 'pc105' for the XKB model?
> >
> >It's quite likely that we will have to reopen this bug and reassign it
> >to localization-config.
>
> I don't think there is a fr_CA layout. I think it's ca and ca_enhanced,
> but I found no description of those keyboards, either historic or
> pragmatic, so I have no idea which should be default. I personally use
> ca_enhanced with a pc104 keyboard (most people here have pc105) but I
> don't know what's an XKB model neither. What I know is that us is not
> the right one.

There have been changes in sarge, and now 'ca' is the Canadian layout
standardized in CAN/CSA-Z243.200-92.  It should IMO be the default.
Other variants are ca(fr) (formerly known as ca_enhanced) and
ca(fr-legacy) (derived from a layout found in another OS).
Model should be set to pc105.

Denis