Re: You know this templates translation page ?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 07:30:16PM +0100, Jaime E . Villate wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 03:38:06PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > We have more than 6000 descriptions... And daily we have new packages,
> > changes, etc. How should we work with this?!
>
> I think the e-mail method you're using for the debconf templates will not be
> so successful in this case too many translations.
>
> As Hector has mentioned,
> we've been translating the descriptions into Spanish since last year, using a
> web interface that takes at random one of the descriptions not yet translated,
> puts and puts it into a web form that you can fill out and send with a click:
>    http://www.laespiral.org/proyectos/debian-es/bin/traducir
>
> We have already translated 4317 descriptions.

nice work

> You can also go through the list of packages not yet translated, in
> alfabetical order, and select the one that you want to translate:
>    http://www.laespiral.org/proyectos/debian-es/bin/lista
>
> or you can see the list of packages by section:
>    http://www.laespiral.org/proyectos/debian-es/bin/paquetes

i thought about this:

Make a mailsystem like the bug trackimg system. You can subscribe to a
language (or a language-section combination) and get per Mail one (or
more) random untranslated descriptions. If you have send one (or more)
translated descrition back to the system, you get new untranslated
descrition ...

The system know the translator (the From-line in the Mail) and can
send the translated description again to the translator, if the
english description has changed.

We can add this with a web interface. But I (personally) don't like
web interfaces. But this is not your problem.

> The cgi-scripts I've written for "La Espiral" are all under the GPL and can be
> retrieved from our public repository:
>    http://www.laespiral.org/le-cvs/viewcvs/laespiral/proyectos/debian-es/
>
> or via console:
>    cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@quark.fe.up.pt:/home/cvs login
> (empty password)
>    cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@quark.fe.up.pt:/home/cvs co debian-es

thanks for your information.

> I have done some tests in our local mirror of Debian and if we go through each
> Packages file and substitute the original descriptions by their translations,
> using a simple script, when you use "apt-get update" from this mirror, your
> local apt cache is updated with the translated descriptions which will show up
> every time you use "apt-cache search", "apt-cache show" etc
> (no need to modify apt).

I know this. This will work.

With we little pacht, APT download a Packages-LANG file instead a
Package file.

Gruss
Grisu
Perl ist der geglückte Versuch, einen braindump direkt ausführbar zu
machen. -- Lutz Donnerhacke