tranlating the Debian Installation Manual

Hello, Christophe.  Is it true that you are working on the French
translation of the Debian Installation Manual?  Last night I sent this
email; but you weren't on it.  After stumpling upon the
debian-l10n-french 'Le point sur les traductions' I saw your name
listed, and figured I should send you a copy of this email as well.

--- Begin Message ---
Hi.  I'm the maintainer of the documentation for the Debian
Installation Manual and other areas under the documentation area of
the 'boot-floppies' manual.

If you are getting this mail, you are either on my list of
translators, or else on the debian-boot or debian-i18n lists.  If you
are listed below as a translator, but you do not wish to be, please
reply to me personally and I will remove you from the list.

I've been asked by some tranlators how they should go about
translating.  This email is a belated attempt to kick off a unified
translating process.  I'd like to streamline the process as much as I
can.

If you've already started translating, you know that the SGML for the
Installation Manual is a little bit, um, advanced.  I use SGML marked
sections to determine and branch per architecture.  Take a look at the
file 'documentation/README-authors' for some useful information; let
me know what other point should be in there that aren't.

I'm not sure how many of you have access to the CVS areas.  This is a
bit of a problem; we can only give out CVS access, at this time, to
registered Debian developers, namely, people with accounts on
master.debian.org.  Soon we hope to move to the proper
'cvs.debian.org' machine, and then we'll be able to give out access.
Until then, you have an alternative; as you may know, you can get
up-to-date (nightly) sources of the documenation source files at
<URL:http://burrito.fake/~apharris/boot-floppies/arch/source/>.
If there are files you need which are missing, let me know.

If you are actively working on translation, as some of you are, you
should monitor the changelogs.  I'm very careful to indicate the title
of changed sections in my changelogs; this should help you determine
what you have to retranslate.

There's a big question: what do you do with your translation once
you've completed it. On this issue, I'm not quite sure.  It would make
sense to me to put the translations in the same CVS area as the
source.  Then you can use the same, up-to-date, language-independant
files, such as messages.ent, urls.ent, defaults.ent, and dynamic.ent.
If you all agree this is a good course of action, I'd be willing to
put patches or files into this area which are emailed to me.

There's another question of what else I can do to make your jobs
easier.  There are a number of language-independant parts to
install.sgml. (BTW, soon I'd like to break this file up into smaller
files -- should I go ahead and do this now or would it mess you up?)
Should we move all language independant information into a separate
.ent file (i.e., filenames)?  That might be a lot of work....

Other ideas?

** Translators

The following translators have volunteered (*gulp*) to help translate
the Installation Manual to other languages.  Work is actively
underway.

The following are the list of parties who have volunteered to help
translate the Installation Manual, in no particular order.  The
structuration and facilitation of this work by the boot-floppies team
is unclear and being worked out.

Finnish:	Tapio Lehtonen <tale@iki.fi>
		Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi>

German:		Philipp Frauenfelder <pfrauenf@debian.org>