Re: Terminology changes for update-alternatives

Guillem Jover wrote:
> I'd like to move away from the master/slave terminology used in
> update-alternatives for both the external interfaces (CLI options,
> output fields) obviously preserving backwards compatibility, docs
> and for all the internal code symbols. For the same reasons as mentioned
> in <https://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2021/03/msg00002.html>. (This
> is bug #884368.)
[...]
> All of which I seem to find issue with. But finally the one that I
> came up with recently, seems somewhat satisfactory, as it is short
> and seems to represent the relationship adequately:

>     --tow (additional CLI option)

> (I've got a couple of branches with trials, that I can easily amend or
> create a new one replacing them automatically.)
>
> Do these sound good? Do you have other (better) suggestions?

It's a pity we can't just call them "linked"...

if "primary/secondary" is no good there are variants like
"major/minor", but I think the one I'd have expected to be a
front-runner is "main link" and "subsidiary link", with the latter
abbreviating to "Sublinks:" and "--sub".

"Tow" is interesting but runs aground on the shortage of recognisable
nouns for the concepts of tow-er and tow-ee.  Then again if it doesn't
strictly need to be a noun, that opens up possibilities like "--with"
(or "--add", if they're "additional").